Monday, November 11, 2013

Something Different

As of now  I have really been concentrating on the competition types of meat. (Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Ribs and Chicken) I have my rub, sauce and marinade recipes down. My timing is another story as while I can cook some great BBQ, I know that I have to be able to turn in at a specific time in order to compete.

That being said I decided to take a break and try something different. I was in my local butcher shop (yea, shop local and support the small business man when  you can.) and he was telling be about his Duroc Pork Bone-In Loin Chops. Well he had my attention at Pork, however I was intrigued about the rest. You can do a Google search on Duroc Pork and here is a couple of links to get you started:

Lobel's of New York
Compart

Basically Duroc Pork is the prime cut of pork.



So I said I would love to give it a try. The cut I chose had both the Chop and the Loin in one cut of meat.

I injected with simply Apple Juice and let rest about four hours.

I used this rub recipe:

1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard
2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Coarse Ground Black Pepper

You can adjust quantities as needed. I did not rub as I would with other types of meat, but simple sprinkled a generous portion on the Pork.

I smoked at 225 - 250 for 2 hours and then wrapped for three hours. I then let set in the smoker for an additional hour wrapped turning off the heat (you can also use your oven) essentially adding no more smoke or heat. I then let rest for about 30 minutes and sliced into Loin/Chops. As you can see the result looked great, but this is one of the best tasting cuts of meat I have every smoked and will probably smoke another one for Thanksgiving.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment