Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A New Pit

Thus far I have been smoking on a Master Forge propane smoker and have spent many hours researching a charcoal and wood smoker. I finally decided to go with a the Open Range from the folks at The Good One.


As you can see this is not the biggest pit in the world, however for my first charcoal/wood smoker it is perfect. My biggest concern was lighting charcoal and as you will see in a future blog, this was not an issue at all. My other concern was maintaining a constant temperature, however with the solid construction and one chimney of charcoal I can maintain 255 + for over four hours. Using this pit when you have a smoker box temp of 250 you can hold your hand over both the smoker and fire boxes and you have to be 2 inches or closer to feel any heat leaving.An excellent purchase and I am having great luck with this pit.

The one caution is that given the tight seal and the ability to use wood chunks you have to be very careful not to over smoke.






I smoked some chicken wings and legs and they were a little bitter than I would have liked

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment