Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Smoking Sunday

I had planned on writing a different post for this week, however I had such a great day this past Sunday on my Pit I just had to post on it.

I had two Corned Beef Briskets in the freezer and really wanted some smoked Turkey so that was my plan for the Pit.

The Corned Beef took no prep as I purchased them already brined and corned. I added a sprinkling of my Squirrel Rub to just the tops of each for a little added flavor and moved on to my Turkey Prep.

I had only the bone in Turkey breast which I have found in the past was the best when you wanted sliced smoked Turkey for sandwiches.

I melted down a stick of butter, added both apple juice and some of my Cluck-Cluck Rub and injected the breasts well. I had some of my injection left over so I simple poured it into the cavity and them applied rub to the outside of the bird.

I let that sit for about an hour while I prepared my Pit.

I everything on at the same time and let smoke using Cherry and Pecan Wood for about three hours at 250.

I then wrapped all for an additional three hours. The Turkey was nearing my ideal temp of 165 - 170 so I took it off the put to rest, leaving it wrapped.

After another hour the corned beef was nearing my preferred temp of 190 so I simple put into the oven letting it rest and tenderize. I was very happy with this cook and as you see below all turned out well. The only thing I would do next time is leave the Corned Beef in the smoke a couple of hours longer as I believe the brining process keep the smoke from penetrating as much as I would have liked.






Keep Smoking My Friends
Randy

1 comment:

  1. Finally got to try some of your delicious smoked pork. I'm stuffed now, but going back for more anyway. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete