Saturday, July 26, 2014

Smoking, This and That

For those who have been fortunate to either be following this blog or physically following me you know that the last month has been a whirl wind of smoke! I have had the pit fired no less that 7 times with cooks of Ribs twice, 3 separate brisket cooks, 5 pork shoulders, several meatloafs, salmon, sausage jalapeno bombs and the beat goes on.

So for the last few weeks I have been smoking several different types of items and making some other dishes off the pit as well as experimenting with new side dishes.

For this weeks blog I wanted to touch on a few new items.

First I was looking for a new snack to serve to some of the usual suspects. I really enjoy smoked cheese and crackers, however the temps have been just to hot to smoke cheese So I decided on smoking the crackers.


As you can see in the pic I choose Ritz Crackers (after all would Andy lie? Everything taste better on a Ritz!)

I simply added the chosen amount of crackers to a pan, fired my Pit trying to keep the temp below 200 and poured as much smoke as possible into the crackers for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

The outcome was fantastic!  Went well with all types of cheese and made for a great happy hours.

Side of the Week:

I am always looking for new side dishes and lately I have been in an I...Talian mood.

I choose summer salad of Green Bean and Mozzarella Cheese. The most important point and I can not stress this enough is to use all FRESH ingredients.



Ingredients:
2 Cups Fresh Green Beans cooked and drained
6 (I used about twice that many) Plum or Cherry Tomatoes Halved
1 Cup Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Grated
1/3 Cup Fresh Basil (I used about 6 leaves)
1/3 Cup Italian Dressing of your choice

Toss all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Keep Smoking My Friends
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment