Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Brisket Redux

If you have been following this blog you know all about the challenges I have had with Brisket. The last half dozen have been really good, however last week I changed my formula a bit and believe I have a recipe/formula that will not only please those who get to sample my Brisket, but also one I would not hesitate to use in a contest.

I started with a 15 pound brisket and trimmed the fat an injected and marinated  the night before smoking.



For my injection/marinade I used a simple formula

Beef Broth (canned)
A very strong beef broth I created with bouillon cubes making this mix twice the strength

Early the next morning I drained the brisket and put in a new pan. I next coated the brisket with squeeze butter and applied a heavy coat of my Squirrel Rub (more on this later, however it is simply my brisket rub.

Letting the Brisket sit I fired up my pit and let get to 350 before putting on the meat and adding smoke. I used only pecan wood for this cook.

I smoked for 3 hours

I then took the Brisket and wrapped the pan tightly with aluminum foil putting it back on the smoker for 2 hours, again at 350.

After 2 hours I had reached about 185 internal temp and off the pit came the Brisket. I then wrapped the entire pan in an old blanket and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature.

As you may image this really made the house smell great!

After two hours I separated the point and flank draining all the juices into my fat separator and wrapping the flank in foil to put it back on the pit at 350 (I did not all more heat so the heat kept dropping as the meat tenderized) for another two hours.

Meanwhile I cut the point into cubes and placed in a pan along with some sweet and spicy BBQ sauce and some of the juice I had just drained. I also added some of the Squirrel rub and stirred the pan. I then placed the pan back on pit (you can also use an oven if you are home) heating to 300 for another two hours.

That was it and you can tell by the pics it turned out great.

Brisket Point turning to Bunt Ends

Sliced Brisket Flat
 
 
Keep Smoking My Friends
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment