Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Blackened Chicken

Having just returned from a short vacation where I was able to consume much fresh seafood, much of it blackened, I was not ready to give up on this great taste. Here in Kansas City fresh seafood is not as plentiful, however beef and poultry is.

I decided to try to make my own blackened seasoning and with a little research and effort it was a great success.


Here is the final recipe

1 1/2 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Ground Dried Thyme
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon Dried Basil
1 teaspoon Dried Oregano

I recommend making a double batch
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and you can save your leftovers indefinitely for future uses.

I had all these ingredients on hand and found this combination to be spot on to the blackened taste I had either had in restaurants or store bought.

Smoke um If You Got um
Randy

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on the whole lack of fresh seafood. Never thought about attempting blackening with Chicken. Also thought maybe trying it with thick pork chops. However, I would have to do something to keep them from drying out. Can't wait to try the blackening recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, it would be excellent on Pork Chops and one method I use is to inject the Pork Chops with apple juice prior to seasoning. I then use squeeze butter to coat the chops and then add the rub/seasoning.
      Randy

      Delete
  2. Randy,
    I finally had a chance to do this. I brinned my chicken breast in pickle juice for about a day. Dried them off. Applied a little Olive Oil and the rub and placed on a super hot skillet. Two min on each side and then placed in an oven at 250 on a cookie rack over a pan for 30 min. Came out AWESOME! Super simple rub and super good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that worked well for you Tom. I had someone else comment on cooking in the oven and it worked great for them also

    ReplyDelete