Monday, March 25, 2013

Second Smoke

So the first smoke really got my attention and I had to try again. After all I had no where to go but up. I had been having many discussions on smoking with S.O. and doing a lot of research.

I decided to stay with baby back ribs and purchased a commercial rub. I found that while I liked the Cookies BBQ Rub I used the first time was good, it proved a little to spicy for me. I lightly rubbed the ribs and let sit for about two hours.

I was still using a grill, however this time the weather was a little cooler and I had an easier time regulating my temperature .

I tried to say between 200 and 225 and for the most part I succeed and I cooked for about 6 hours.

When my temperature of the meat was around 185 I took them off the grill and cranked the grill up as hot as I could get it in 15 minutes. I then turned off the grill and put the ribs back on along with saucing the ribs with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce.

As you can see the results looked a little better this time.


While the ribs were great and fell off the bone I did not realize at this time that even though I and everyone I knew would like these ribs, they were not ready for competition (not by a long haul)

My First Reciepe
I plan on putting many recipes in my blogs and I am not claiming to have invented all of them. Most I have found on the Internet or in books, however most I will have tweaked. With some hints from P.T.I decided to smoke as many of my sides as possible.

Bourbon Baked Beans
77 oz can Campbell's Pork and Beans
1 Medium Sweet Onion
1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
12 oz Ketchup (the original recipe called for chili sauce, but this would be to hot for me)
1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Four Roses Bourbon
1/2 Cup Four Roses Bourbon to drink while you continue to smoke ;)
8 (or more) Slices of Bacon

Heat Smoker to 350
Combine all ingredients except bacon in a foil pan
Place Bacon on top
Smoke about two hours or until all the bacon on top is crisp and brown



Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment